What do YOU know about the most important concepts in Islam from the standpoint of non-Muslims? Freedom and Heritage here begins a series of posts on each of these, and will explain why the West should be appalled by what the Islamic scriptures tell Muslims to believe and practise.
The first concept we cover is SHARIA.
What Is Sharia?
Sharia is the Islamic “Divine Law” derived from the teachings and example of Mohammed as set out in the Koran and in the Sunna (the biography of Mohammed – the Sira, and his reported sayings and teachings – the Hadiths). It is codified in manuals, especially the very comprehensive manual of the Shafi’i school “The Reliance of the Traveller” compiled in the 14th century. This was translated into English in 1991 and certified by the Al-Azhar University in Cairo.
Sharia deals with crime, politics, and economics, and lots of personal matters such as sexual intercourse, hygiene, diet, prayer, everyday etiquette and fasting. it is in fact a system of micromanaging the whole of life.
Interpretations of sharia vary between cultures, but in its strictest definition it is considered the infallible law of God.
Sharia regards law-making by humans (as in Western democracy) as blasphemy. Only Allah can make law!
Only under Sharia law can Muslims practise pure Islam, so its introduction into kafir (unbeliever) society is the cornerstone for Islam to overthrow the kafir world, including all of Western society.
Under Sharia there is:
* no freedom of religion, of speech, of thought, of artistic expression, or of the press
* no equality of peoples — a non-Muslim, a Kafir, is never equal to a Muslim
* no equal protection for different classes of people. One set of laws for Muslim males, different laws for women; and a different set again for non-Muslims. There is no Golden Rule in Islam, only a dualism: non-Muslims cannot be treated equally with Muslims.
* Women are property; can be beaten by husbands
* A non-Muslim cannot bear arms
* There is no democracy, since democracy means that a non-Muslim is equal to a Muslim
* Our Constitution is a man-made document of ignorance and must submit to Sharia
* Non-Muslims are inferior, second-class citizens
* All governments must be ruled by Sharia law
* Unlike common law, Sharia is not interpretive, nor can it be changed. There is no theological discourse in Islam, only fiqh (jurisprudence) – compilation of past legal rulings. This is strikingly similar to the fixation of the very legalistic Pharisees in Judaism, who were called out by Christ as “hypocrites, whited sepulchres full of dead men’s bones and rottenness.”
In a subsequent post we will look in more detail at the content of Sharia.
This article was first published in The Freedom and Heritage Society